Become a Local Coordinator
We are looking for creative, caring and enterprising Local Coordinators who are responsible for major duties essential to an active and effective academic and cultural high school exchange program.
Host Family Selection and Orientation
- Interview and screen families to participate in the STS Foundation program. Review Host Family applications, verify references and conduct an in-home evaluation to determine the Host Family applicant’s suitability to participate in the program.
- Provide pre-arrival orientation to vetted Host Families detailing program objectives and expectations. Provide awareness of possible cross cultural communication problems and strategies for dealing with communication challenges between Host Family and the student.
- Build relationships with local high schools to establish a foundation for student success.
- Provide support to every school in their region with student issues and concerns.
- Obtain updated information on each institution to assist in the accurate information flow about school practices, course, sport activities and application requirements.
- Attend any mandatory school district meeting held for foreign exchange program representatives. File any required paperwork.
Communication and Counseling
- Contacting new students within 48 hours of arrival.
- Conduct an in-person student arrival orientation within 30 days of arrival.
- Counsel student as needed to assist in adapting to American culture and life.
- Maintain monthly contact with Host Families and students, complete and submit on-line, monthly progress reports.
- Maintain bi-monthly contact with the participating high schools.
- Mediate and resolve conflicts between program participants, if required.
- Report on progress of participants via internet filing system.
- Materials/information requests: Oversee and assist in response to requests from the students, schools and/or Host Family questions regarding the program.
- Operate in strict accordance with the Department of State Regulations of the J1 Visa high school exchange program.
Skills and Abilities
- Should be excellent speaker and communicator with demonstrated initiative, imagination, stamina, a sense of humor and a love of international cultures and languages.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer skills required; familiarity and access to internet and e-mail programs.
- Time commitment will depend your level of commitment and the number of students that you choose to place and supervise.
- Must be on call in the event of an emergency.
- Hours are flexible, occasional evening and weekend appointments required as the host family’s schedule demands.
Special Environmental Factors
- Must be able to work off-site without supervision in a highly ethical manner.
- Flexible, occasional evening and weekend appointments required as Host Family’s schedule demands.
If you would like to talk about becoming a Local Coordinator, please contact us by completing the contact form.
As part of becoming a Local Coordinator a background will be done. Please follow the link to complete the Background Check